CITY OF MEMPHIS
Solid Waste Management E-Mail News
Edition 54, November 9, 2011
Holiday Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Schedule For Week of VETERANS’ DAY (November 11, 2011)
The City of Memphis will observe Veterans’ Day Friday, November 11th. Residents of Memphis serviced by City of Memphis Solid Waste Management whose regular collection day is Friday will receive garbage and recycling collection on Thursday, November 10th. All other days of the week are not affected; however, there will be little or no collection of excess trash and yard debris on Thursday as crews concentrate on Friday & Thursday garbage and recycling only.
Residents of Memphis serviced by City contractor Republic/Allied Waste, formerly All Star Waste Systems, will receive regular garbage (cart) and recycling collection on Friday. However, please note, there will be no collection of yard debris and excess trash on Friday (Nov. 11th) as City crews will be observing the Veterans’ Day holiday. Normal collection of excess trash and yard debris will resume on Friday next week.
FREE DROP-OFF LOCATIONS FOR BAGGED LEAVES
Beginning Monday, November 14th the City will open two (2) locations for residents to drop-off bagged leaves for free!
· Public Works Collins Yard Facility @ 304 Collins (at Poplar Ave )
* 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Mon. – Sat.
· Rodney Baber Park @ 2215 James Rd.
* Dawn till dusk daily
During leaf season, removal of bagged leaves by the City may be delayed indefinitely due to the enormous volume of bags placed at the curb throughout the city. Therefore, we respectfully ask residents to take advantage of the above drop-off locations and to help us spread the word about these locations and this free drop-off option.
BAGGED LEAVES COLLECTION
Its bagged leaves season; therefore, please be mindful of the following:
· Beginning Monday, November 14th the above free drop-off locations will be available to residents of Memphis only.
· Lawn, landscape and handymen hired to perform yard work, such as bagging leaves, must remove bags and other debris generated by their services.
· Due to the volume of bagged leaves placed at the curb during the months of November through March, removal of all bags citywide within a 5 day work week is not possible with existing resources. Therefore, do not expect collection of leaf bags normal garbage/recycling collection day.
· The City does not collect bagged leaves at commercial businesses and private residential developments.
· Bagged leaves placed at the curb by contractors or at businesses or private developments will be tagged by City field management and if not removed as directed on the tag the City will remove and the property owner will be billed accordingly.
· Since the vast majority of bagged leaves are composted, please do not mix leaf bags with household waste.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY
ALSO, the Memphis & Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 6305 Haley Road will be closed Saturday, November 12th and will reopen on the next normal business day, Tuesday November 15th. Normal business days and hours for the facility are Tuesdays and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. For additional information visit our website, http://www.memphiswaste.org/.
FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF CITY ORDINANCES VISIT THE CITY OF MEMPHIS WEB SITE (www.cityofmemphis.org), CLICK ON GOVERNMENT, THEN CITY COUNCIL. LOOK TO LEFT SIDE OF PAGE FOR OUR CITY CODES AND CHARTER NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE. FOR GARBAGE AND TRASH ORDINANCES LOOK FOR TITLE 9, HEALTH AND SAFETY.
Following the Veterans’ Day, the next City observed holiday is Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24th and Friday, November 25th.
For current holiday service information anytime phone 576-6650 or visit our web site at http://memphiswaste.memphistn.gov .