There is still time to register to compete in the 5th Annual Cooper-Young Community Association / Peabody Elementary Chili Cook-Off! Registration is only $20 and benefits the school.
You need not cook the regular beef chili either – there are categories for vegetarian, hot and most unusual! To register to compete, please complete this form and return it to either the CYCA or Peabody Elementary.
(Please note – if you are entering to compete, please make sure to email Mandy Grisham at mandygrisham [at] gmail.com to ensure that you will have a chafing pan and other supplies the day of the event)
Want to Help Out?
Want to help out, but don’t want to compete? There are two fun and easy ways to get involved.
- Volunteer to Help! Volunteers are AWESOME and we still could use a hand. Plus, it is really easy to sign up. Just click this link and it will walk you through it all.
- Come and Eat! Hungry chili lovers are what make this event so competitive. For $5, you get 4 tastings and a drink. Make sure you bring some extra money though – we’re sure you will fall in love with at least one of the chili’s competing and you’ll want to cast your vote in “People’s Choice” (Plus, that money goes to the school as well!)
Chili Cook-off details for Cooks:
Want to know more before registering to compete? Keep reading then…
12 noon – 1:30PM (Setup begins at 11:00)
Please be in place and ready to serve at noon.
What we provide:
- A half pan chafing set up with external heat source
- Electricity for a crock pot, if you choose
- A table and two chairs for each cook/team
- One ticket for each cook/team (4 tastings; 1drink)
- Music and witty commentary
- People to eat your chili
- Judges to judge your chili (but not you; we’re not like that.)
What you provide:
- Approx. 20 cups of chili
- Non-cracker condiments
- Table cloths, decorations, entertainment and any additional pizazz you find lacking from the standard school cafeteria motif that we provide
- Anything that helps you attract attention and cash for People’s Choice Award
Categories and Judging Information:
*Important change: this year YOU designate your chili for Hot, Veggie or Most Unusual categories
- Judges’ Choice – best overall chili blindly scored by three judges on taste, consistency and aroma; can include chili in any sub-category below
- People’s Choice – most money raised by a team during contest. Money = votes (Saturday only)
- Best HOT Chili – best chili deemed hot by YOU scored in same manner as Judges’ Choice
- Best Vegetarian Chili – best chili with no meat scored in same manner as Judges’ Choice. YOU tell us about the meat content.
- Most Unusual Chili – YOU tell us it’s unusual and the judges decide if it’s good