Do you have knick-knacks and stuff you never use strewn about your basement, attic and every available inch in the closet? Do you realize that you haven’t used said kitchen gadget or worn a shirt in the past year or 5? Could you use a few extra bucks (couldn’t we all)? Well it sounds like you need to take part in this year’s Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale on May 10th!
The Annual Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale will take place on Saturday, May 10th from 8 am until 2 pm. Please keep in mind that this is a RAIN OR SHINE event, so plan accordingly. You may use your discretion in choosing to reschedule your yard sale if the weather is bad, but we will only have the one “official” date of May 10th that we will advertise.
How Will People Find Out About the Event?
The Cooper-Young Community Association (CYCA) will help get the word out about the Community Yard Sale by way of the Commercial Appeal, Craigslist and our websites. Closer to the date of the yard sale, we will also put up posters around the area. We will also utilize Facebook and create an event that can be shared by everyone.
The best form of advertisement is always word of mouth though, so remember to tell your friends and colleagues!
Will There Be A Yard Sale Listing?
Yes! There will be an official list of households participating on our website and but you MUST be a current Cooper-Young Community Association member for your address to be listed. To renew your membership, visit us at cooperyoung.org or call us at 272-2922. Other than the membership (which has lots of additional benefits), there is no fee for participating in the yard sale. We want you to keep your hard earned money from your yard sale!
If you wish to participate in the yard sale, please email us no later than May 5th. You are also welcome to comment on the Facebook event and give the address of your yard sale, along with a brief description of what you will be selling. If you are not on Facebook, you can email us the information to email@example.com.
Some Helpful Tips
If you are new to the world of yard sales, here are some helpful hints to keep you sane and safe:
- Yard sale shoppers like to find a price easily. Use stickers or, for a bunch of items like books or stuffed animals, place them in a box labeled with a price (i.e. $1 per item).
- Leave room for bargaining when you set your price. Yard sale shoppers like to haggle.
- You will be up early the day of the yard sale, so remember to get change on Friday.
- Be honest. If an item doesn’t work, be truthful and reflect that in the price.
- Instead of having your yard sale alone, invite a friend to share your yard. You increase safety and can alternate refilling each other’s coffee.
- Keep your money on you at all times. A money belt or fanny pack works well.
- Close your front door, shades, and garage door so that the contents of your house are not visible to yard sale shoppers.
- Decline the use of your restroom unless you know the individual.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CYCA offices at 901-272-2922.
Best wishes for a prosperous yard sale!