The Cooper Young Festival is organized each year by our friends at the Cooper Young Business Association. This is one of the biggest neighborhood events for the entire year so it’s always great to be prepared and keep in mind that:
- The Festival runs on Saturday, September 19th, from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm. The whole event is free and takes place on Cooper from Central to Southern and Young from Meda to Tanglewood.
- Street closures will begin very early in the morning on Saturday and towing will begin even sooner (3:00 am!) so be sure to move your vehicle the night before.
- Parking is always hectic with many visitors using every possible space. If you need a section in front of your home, try to mark it off with cones on Friday. Some residents have had trouble accessing their own driveways so you can also put your trash or recycling bins in your drive to keep it open.
- The high number of visitors (over 100,000 last year) can mean more garbage than usual. Many residents like to move their trash and recycling bins closer to the sidewalk to encourage visitors to throw trash away and not on the ground.
- If you aren’t a fan of crowds, visit the booths in the morning before the rush. You’ll also get first go at some of the great pieces of art from all the vendors.
- If you’re looking for a specific vendor or want to catch your favorite band, check your September Lamplighter for vendor and stage listings. We will also have extra copies of the Lamplighter at the CYCA booth and at our office prior to the Festival.
- The Festival is definitely a lot of fun but it also slows everyone down getting through the neighborhood. The best thing is to plan ahead and know which streets are open. If you need to drive in or out of the neighborhood, try to avoid Cooper and come in from Parkway or Mclean.
- We would love for you to come and see us! We have a booth at the Festival every year and this is a great time to pick up a Festival t-shirt, poster, or even sign up to be one of our members. We’re also happy to answer questions about the neighborhood and our other events throughout the year.
- If you have more questions about the Festival, you can visit their website here , check them out on Facebook, or call the Cooper Young Business Association at 272-2922.