Summer vacation is over, and it’s time to get the kids ready to go back to school. Shelby County Schools start on August 12, so there is a lot to do in a little time. Here are some helpful tips to make the process easier. More information is available at scsk12.org.
• For the first time ever, returning students do not have to register for school! If your child’s contact info and address are the same as last year and he/she is up to date on immunizations, you’re all set for the start of school on the August 12 at the child’s zoned school or approved choice location.
• New to SCS? Get registered early! The first step is to get your PowerSchool parent account set up. PowerSchool is an online portal where parents can register for school, file a school choice application, access grades and report cards, and check daily attendance.
• To get setup, contact our Parent Welcome Center by phone at 901-416-5300 or in person at 2687 Avery Ave. or contact your school for assistance. Once your PowerSchool account is ready, you can register online anytime and anywhere using any computer, tablet, or smartphone with Internet access. You can find registration requirements online at scsk12.org/registration/.
• Don’t have access to a computer or need help with registration or updates? Contact your child’s school for summer support hours. You can also visit our Parent Welcome Center (2687 Avery Ave.) Monday – Friday for help.
• All students must be up to date on all required immunizations and physicals or have an approved exemption on file in order to attend school. For a complete list of required immunizations, visit scsk12.org/registration/immunizations.
• If you need immunizations, you can visit a personal doctor or any of the local Shelby County Health Department locations listed below. To make an appointment or contact the Shelby County Health Department for questions, call 901-222-9980. Walk-ins are welcome, and no child will be denied due to lack of insurance.
Cawthorn Clinic: 1000 Haynes, 38114 (M-F)
Collierville Health Clinic: 167 Washington, 38017 (T-Th)
Hickory Hill Clinic: 6950 Kirby Center Cv., 38115 (M-F)
Immunization Clinic: 814 Jefferson, 38105 (M-F)
Millington Clinic: 8225 Hwy. 51, 38053 (M-F)
Shelby Crossing Clinic: 6170 Macon Rd., 38134 (M-F)
Southland Mall Clinic: 1287 Southland Mall, 38116 (M-F)
You can also make an appointment at any of the three SCS student health clinics beginning July 27 by calling 901-531-6321. The clinics are located at East High School (3206 Poplar), Sheffield Career & Tech Center (4350 Chuck), and Westwood High School (4480 Westmont). The health clinics are operated by Well Child, Inc. Please note, fees apply for students without insurance or who are Medicaid-enrolled.
• Register for CareDox to track your child’s important school health info. Personal health info, like allergies and medications, as well as results from school nurse visits and health screenings can all be accessed easily online with CareDox. Get more info about signing up for CareDox at scsk12.org/caredox.
• Does your child ride the bus? Verify your child’s nearest bus stop and bus eligibility online and confirm it with the school. Passes will be distributed in the first three weeks of school, during which time students may ride without a pass.
• Online registration for SCS-managed before- and after-school programs starts at 10 a.m. on July 30. Registration and payment is now totally online, so there are no lines or waits at school. Spaces are limited, so be ready to register on day 1!Visit scselop.org for more information about before- and after-school programs, including a list of schools with programs, payment information, and FAQs.
• Contact your child’s school for supply lists and dress code info. Supply lists and dress codes vary from school to school, so be sure to contact your child’s school before day one if you have questions. Peabody’s web site and info can be found online at scsk12.org/peabodyelementary// Maxine Smith STEAM Academy info can be found at memphissteamacademy.org.
• Gear Up 4 School Day is Tuesday, August 6 at all schools! All schools open 9 a.m.-2 p.m. and 4-7 p.m. Meet the principal, teachers & staff. Get supply lists, dress code info, bus eligibility info, and homeroom assignments. Sign up for parent organizations and before-/after-care (if available). Get computer access or help with registration/updates.
• Save the date! Our annual Back to School Block Party is Saturday, August 10, at the Board of Education. More details coming soon!