What does membership mean to our neighbors?
We are often asked from neighbors “What does the association do and what do I get out of it?” What a hard question to answer with just a few words, because we do so many little things in addition to the tried and true events that everyone has come to love. For one, you get the satisfaction of supporting the projects of the Cooper Young Community Association. We are a volunteer-based community association that recognizes that each of us has the duty to support the neighborhood that we love.
Like any other nonprofit, we depend on the financial support of our members to keep doing all the background activities as well as the public events that make Cooper Young a more desirable and safer place to live, worship, work, and play. If you are ready to purchase your membership, please click on “Buy Membership Now” in the sidebar under CYCA Memberships & Gifts. Thank you!!
Your CYCA membership helps fund:
- Curbside tree replacement on Cooper Street and other beautification initiatives
- Blighted properties action and graffiti cover-up
- Sponsorship of the CY Parents Network’s annual Easter egg hunt
- Sponsorship of community recycling bins
- Community office and meeting space
- LampLighter community newspaper and LampLighter online
- Our Executive Director and LampLighter editor
- Neighborhood Hotline (901-272-2922) and website (www.cooperyoung.org)
- Neighborhood advocacy with government, police department, fire department, and other entities
- Community Safety and Lost Pet alerts
- Annual community yard sale
- Maintaining, insuring, and lighting of the Cooper Street trestle art including recent conversion to solar power
- July 4th neighborhood parade
- Quarterly neighborhood clean-ups
- Block clubs and Neighborhood Night Out block club grants
- Sponsorship of the McLean and Barksdale trestle mural projects
- Sponsorship of Peabody Elementary fundraisers
- “Yard of the Month” and Halloween decoration contests
- Special events and other services as needed
How can I help with membership?
Any ideas you may have to promote membership or want to get involved with this committee, please feel free to email